Rwanda has recorded its first death of Covid-19 this Saturday, May 30 2020 since the country first confirmed a case of the pandemic on March 14, according to a statement from the Ministry of Health (MINISANTE).
On the same day, four patients out of 1,368 samples examined were found with the disease bringing the number of contaminations to 359. In the past 24 hours three patients had recovered, so far 250 people have recovered from Covid-19 and returned home while those still still hospitalized are 109.
The statement said that so far 66,976 people have been tested.
“The patient who died was a 65-year-old Rwandan truck driver residing in a neighboring country who opted to return home to Rwanda after falling seriously ill. He received intensive care treatment at a specialized COVID-19 facility, but unfortunately passed away due to severe respiratory complications,” the ministry said in a statement.
The other infected patients are isolated and treated in a designated place, and their health continues to improve.
The ministry of health continue to encourage citizens to strictly adhere to the containment measures in force as stipulated by the government such as washing their hands several times with clean water and soap, observing the distance of at least one meter between one person and another, and go home before 9 p.m. Wearing a mask is compulsory whenever in public or in multi-family residences.
Health authorities note that it is mainly young people who are the most infected because the majority of them are negligent when it comes to protective measures against COVID-19. Therefore, authorities say that anyone who conceals information about infected people or symptoms of COVID-19 puts the life of the community at risk, and is liable to legal penalties.