Six new Covid-19 cases were confirmed out of 1,197 samples examined this Saturday, May 20 increasing the number of infections to 255 since the country first recorded the first case in March and there has been no single death from the disease.
The ministry of health said in a statement, 120 people recovered and have already returned home including eleven patients who have recovered in the past 24 hours, while 135 patients remain hospitalized.
All patients are being treated in an isolated health facility and are in stable condition, according to the ministry.
So far 33,303 people have been tested, and the high numbers of the infected on Saturday indicate a continued increase in infections among cross-border truck drivers and their assistants as seen in the past week.
Dr. Daniel Ngamije, the Minister of Health said a countrywide health survey shows that there is no community transmission in Rwanda, which was the basis of a recent decision to partially lift the lockdown imposed since March 21.
He revealed that in a survey conducted on over 4,500 people, including those who had sought medical attention with COVID-19-like symptoms in over 30 percent of Rwanda’s health providers, locations like markets, banks, telecoms and places that have been operating all tested negative for the disease.
Health officials continue to urge residents to strictly adhere to government-mandated containment measures such as washing their hands with soap and water several times, and staying at home.
Wearing a face mask in Rwanda is now compulsory whenever in public or in multi-family residences. While anyone concealing information about people with symptoms of COVID-19 is said to be putting the life of the community at risk, and is subject to legal sanctions.