• Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
Rwanda Dispatch News Agency
Magazine
  • Home
  • Business
  • Politics
  • National
  • Economy
  • Social
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • E-dition
  • Entertainment
  • Home
  • Business
  • Politics
  • National
  • Economy
  • Social
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • E-dition
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Rwanda Dispatch News Agency
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Rwanda Seeks More Than £50 Million From UK Over Canceled Migrant Deal

by John Mugisha
27 January 2026
in Politics
0
Rwanda Seeks More Than £50 Million From UK Over Canceled Migrant Deal
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsapp
PDF Button

Rwanda has launched legal action against the United Kingdom, seeking compensation of more than £50 million ($63 million) after Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government scrapped a controversial migrant relocation agreement shortly after taking office.

The deal, introduced by the previous Conservative government in 2022, aimed to deter irregular migration by transferring asylum seekers who arrived in the UK without authorization to Rwanda, where their claims would be processed. The policy faced strong criticism from human rights groups and repeated legal challenges, preventing it from being fully implemented.

Starmer, who led the Labour Party to victory in July 2024, canceled the agreement as one of his first actions in office, arguing it was costly, ineffective and failed to stop migrants from crossing the English Channel in small boats. Labour had pledged during the election campaign to abandon the policy, calling it a waste of public funds that would address less than 1% of asylum cases.

Before the deal was terminated, the UK had already paid Rwanda about £290 million, money Kigali said was used to prepare infrastructure and services to host migrants, including accommodation facilities such as Hope Hostel, which announced in April 2024 that it was ready to receive arrivals.

In November 2025, Rwanda issued a formal notice of arbitration, triggering legal proceedings at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, Netherlands. The Rwandan government is represented by Justice Minister and government agent Emmanuel Ugirashebuja. The UK is being represented by senior Home Office official Dan Hobbs, with legal support led by barrister Ben Juratowitch of Essex Court Chambers. Rwanda’s legal team includes barrister Verdiram KC of Twenty Essex.

Rwanda argues that the UK’s unilateral decision to cancel the agreement violated international legal obligations and was taken without mutual consent. Kigali says hosting migrants aligned with its commitment to human rights and international cooperation.

The UK government has defended its decision, saying the policy was expensive, unworkable and diverted resources from more effective border and asylum reforms. A government spokesperson said substantial funding had already been provided to Rwanda and that ending the deal was in taxpayers’ best interests.

The Conservative Party has sharply criticized the cancellation. Chris Philp, the party’s shadow home affairs spokesman, said Rwanda’s claim was a direct consequence of abandoning a policy he argued would have helped reduce irregular migration.

Conservatives also say the number of asylum seekers housed in hotels has risen since the deal was scrapped, with more than 36,000 people in temporary accommodation by September 2025.

Related Posts:

  • UK parliament
    British parliament pass controversial Rwanda asylum plan 
  • migrants
    Germany could send migrants to Rwanda after UK…
  • UK parliament
    Botswana rejects plan to receive asylum seekers from UK
  • migration
    EAC regional conference on Migration concludes in Rwanda
  • House_of_Lords
    UK-Rwanda asylum treaty delayed as Lords raise…
  • Libya-evacuees
    Asylum seekers evacuated from Libya arrives in Rwanda
Tags: migrant dealUK
John Mugisha

John Mugisha

Next Post
Sextortion, Bribery Undermine Access to Education in Rwanda, New Study Warns

Sextortion, Bribery Undermine Access to Education in Rwanda, New Study Warns

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search

No Result
View All Result

Mount Meru Gas

e-Dispatch

e-Dispatch

Click here to download this magazine

Organic Beer

archives

February 2026
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan    

Dispatch Agency Ltd is a local media institution based in Kigali with various media related products premiered with The Dispatch News Magazine.

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2023 Rwanda Dispatch .

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Business
  • Politics
  • National
  • Economy
  • Social
  • Opinions
  • Sport
  • E-dition
  • Entertainment

© 2023 Rwanda Dispatch .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In